Wednesday, March 5, 2014

1 Timothy 6:6-8
But godliness with contentment is great gain.
 For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

 Oh, to be completely content. How would it feel? I don't know that there is a single person on this earth who is completely content, much like there is not a single person here who is without sin. Not that it is an impossible task, for Jesus was content, but for us, it may just be impossible. I am reminded of my own foolishness that I am plagued with each and every day. Like a shadow, it follows me and only vanishes when the cross is at the forefront of my mind. When I think about what Jesus endured for our sakes. I become content, not wishing for the things of this world but simply longing to be in His unrestricted presence. This however, is a fleeting thought for me and is soon swirled around by the cares of this world. Thoughts that may not even be sinful in nature, but become so when they distract me from Christ. Many times, I restrain myself myself from voicing my lack of contentment via complaints and wishful thinking. I hold back who I am so that people will hopefully be deceived into believing I am a "better person" than I really am. Furthermore, I may say things I don't really mean for the sake of presenting myself as something apart from my true heart. Even when people express thoughts which seem to be well intentioned, apart from God, they are selfish statements for self benefit. I am reminded so often that there are no "good people". Anything in us apart from Christ is evil which makes me feel all the more foolish when I am not content. How could we not be content with everything we have in Christ when we deserved worse than nothingness? Hardwired to this world and only give God a thought when it is convenient for me. I think of God often here because I reside in an environment that is designed to cater to that convenience. But how faithful can I be in the world without such a fertile environment? I believe how faithful I am is directly connected to how much I let the Holy Spirit master my thoughts and my emotions. Under my own will, I cannot be faithful to think heavenly minded, and therefor, under my own will I cannot be content.

Application: Say thank you to people as often as I can and write it on my arm. I believe a thankful heart is the second best step to having a content heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment