Monday, March 3, 2014

Colossians 3:16
 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Be in the word and be in fellowship, these are the fundamentals of growing in Christ. What does it mean to let the word of Christ dwell in you richly? It certainly does not mean to read a chapter in your Bible every morning as your devotions and then proceed to live your life. The word of God is a powerful living entity that we as Christians are to take part in. We are to study it that we may glean wisdom and knowledge concerning humanity, life, death, and our father. If we let the word of The Lord richly dwell in us, it will transform us.
When you take to heart the word of The Lord and see the work it is doing in you, it would only seem natural for you to desire to share revelations with others. This is called fellowship, when we are building one another up in Christ. It is imperative for your walk with God that you fellowship with other like minded people. For a long time, I did not have any like minded friends. I would often surround myself with people who simply didn't know what they believed. At the time, I didn't even notice the negative effects they were having on me. Looking back on it I can so clearly see where I went astray and the reason why. I had no fellowship with Christian friends.
when I read the last portion of this verse, I am reminded of an elderly English man that attends my church. He always has a word of encouragement or a psalm on his lips. He has prophesied to me and ministered to me on such a personal level that all I do is hope I will become like him one day. He is the most gentle and genuine man I have ever met, and his name is pastor Howard.  When I think of someone who has emptied themselves and presented God with an empty vessel to fill, I think of him. It is so comforting to see and interact with people who have gone before you on the path that you are traveling, who can counsel you and admonish you when needed. Who do things out of love and compassion, not selfish ambition. I know that I am not as far down the path as pastor Howard is, but I also know that I am further down the path than a lot of other people. Why shouldn't I strive to teach and encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ in a like manner?
Application: this is going to be a fun application for everyone. If you, yes all of you, see or hear of me being negative or discouraging to someone, PLEASE, call me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment