Sunday, March 30, 2014

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

It is so important to grasp this concept as a Christian. I often find myself neglecting my study of the law laid out in the Torah. I will justify it by saying "oh, this is what Jesus saved me from having to follow." In. Sense, this is true. He has perfected the law by His ultimate sacrifice on the cross to wash my sins away, but how can I fully appreciate His saving me if I cannot see how much I needed saving? Now granted, we will never know exactly how much He saved us from because we can not possibly understand the weight and price of our sin. Understanding the law can give us a glimpse into how seriously we aught to take our vile sin. So often we find it nothing to cry about when we disrespect our parents, or when we lie to them. According to the law, such a sin carried the penalty of death. Needless to say, we would not still be alive if Jesus hadn't fulfilled the law. We are such weary sinners saved by grace through faith, not by our pathetic works lest any man should boast. I will rest in my faith in Jesus and His grace, there I find my peace again.
Application: pray for a deeper conviction of my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment