Monday, March 3, 2014

Acts 8:15-16
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
I feel very ill equipped to read and interpret this passage for I do not fully understand it. However, I pray that I was guided by my father as I read and wrote.

The people of Samaria received the Gospel, and were baptized, but they did not receive the Holly Spirit. This clearly shows that having faith in the Gospel does not necessarily mean that you have received the Holly Spirit to the fullest extent; they are two separate events. However the only of the two that is salvific is the reception and the acceptance of the Gospel. The Holy Spirit filling someone to overflowing is then an addition of the initial work that Christ has done in a life. Peter and John obviously saw the importance of the Spirit because they were filled and had seen Him work in and through them. The Holy Spirit is our companion, He is a gift from God, and I desire to be filled with Him on a daily basis. I would plead for that to be everyone's prayer that we all might walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. That we might receive the gifts He has to offer us when they are thought necessary by Him. Not for the purpose of drawing attention to us, but too point to our Lord and Savior. For that is the only purpose of ALL the gifts it discerningly bestows upon us. Furthermore, we are not holders of any gift. We can not use Him if He does not wish to be used. The Holy Spirit is a comforter and a barometer for us. He convicts us and shows us that we need That which only Jesus can offer, redemption.

I know that this is a very stereotypical application, but it is the only thing that seems fitting for this passage. I will and do, pray everyday for the Spirit to work in me that I may be used to bring glory to my father. Also, that I will be eager to hear and head His correction regarding the things in my life that are not pleasing to Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment