Saturday, March 8, 2014

Philippians 2:4
 Not looking each of you to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others.

If you believe that you are a deeper thinker than someone, or an intellectual superior to someone, you may be right. However, the more likely reality is that you are wrong and thus excluding yourself from someone who could have influenced you because you won't listen to them. Most of the times I have found that the people who speak the loudest have the least to offer because they have no problem spewing out an underdeveloped idea or thought so that they may be heard. Those who are more reserved can often be reserved on account of them realizing that their thought may not be fully developed and thus not wanting to share for the sake of not confusing others. From the surface looking in, the one who had put his thought to words, premature as it might have been, may appear to be a deeper thinker. This is obviously not the case, but I can assure you that he would like to think himself to be. I now find myself approaching a delicate line, do I myself say things for the benefit of those around me? Or for the sole purpose of presenting myself as an intellectual superior? I can not answer this question completely for everything I say is a twisted concoction of right and wrong motives. I can rest assured though, that if I am being sensitive to the Spirit, He will guide my words and others will be blessed. I pray that I am not a clanging gong or a noisy symbols as referenced in 1 Corinthians 13. I hope that I do not drown out my companions with my over zealous proclamations. I hope that I can consider the words of others for a result of constant growth. I hope and pray that in everything I say, there is one constant to be found; Love.

Application: Do not speak in class for this whole week as pastor Don teaches.


 Proverbs 17:27-28
He that spareth his words hath knowledge; And he that is of a cool spirit is a man of understanding.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise; When he shutteth his lips, he is esteemed as prudent.

No comments:

Post a Comment