Sunday, March 30, 2014

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Oh, how I long to be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer. In that same way, I also desire to be both a doer and a sayer. What shows a more personal conviction, the action of saying what is right, or doing what is right? Well it is quite obvious that if we really do love Christ, we will be doers. He says that if we love Him, we will follow His commands. When I think back on my childhood, I vividly remember not agreeing with rules my parents gave me. For instance, I wanted to be able to play video games a long time, and they regulated my time to 45 minuets twice a week. I wanted to play more, but looking back on it, I realize that it would have been a waste of time. Even the time they let me play was a waste of time. I see now that their command was in my best interest. My obedience to that command was also in my best interest. By both of these factors, their command and my obedience to it, I had ample amount of timetable play outside, surf, spend time with my family, and other such activities I would have missed out on. Because I obeyed that seemingly dumb rule, I am so much closer with my parents than I could have otherwise been, God is the same way. He gives us commands, not because He wants to take away our fun, but because He loves us. He wants a relationship with us and when we sin, it separates us from Him. It puts a rift in our relationship that He gave His life to have. How heartbreaking. He is my father and I must obey His commands because I want to show Him how much I love Him. The best way to show my love, is through my obedience. No matter how much I want something, I must obey.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment