Wednesday, March 5, 2014

John 15:14
 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

This is an interesting verse because it is Jesus who is saying it to His disciples. I could shrug this off as if it were not applicable to me because this was when God was fully man for a time. But I believe that would be a terrible error. While I prefer to think of God as my father, this is such a refreshing new look on the whole matter. How much more personal does it make our relationship with God? I am reminded of my own best friend. He isn't my best friend because I feel any kind of obligation to him, but because i have the best earthly relationship with him that I could ever hope to have with anyone. Turns out that my best friend is in fact my father. This  enables me to draw a very real parallel between him and God. Myself and my father have our best times when I am living in submission to his commands and rules, which are for my best interest. When I am walking in accordance with his will, he does not have to be my father in a disciplinary sense anymore. Not that he stops being my father, but he can be my best friend. He loves to be my best friend, but it is completely up to me wether he can or not. He has to be my father first; he has to make sure my path is straight and guide me through life because he loves me and has my best interest at heart. This verse shows that the same is true with God. We are His friends when we are following His commands, this does not say we will not endure hardship when we are on His "good side", for even when I am in loving obedience to my father and we are driving to go surf somewhere, a flat tire is not eliminated from our list possible fates. However I will say that I will be able to enjoy changing that flat tire with my dad because our relationship is one that it doesn't matter what we are doing as long as it is done together. The same is true with God. Our trials will be bearable and maybe even enjoyable when we are living side by side with God, obeying His commands and actively seeking to be His friend. It won't matter if we are washing dishes, sweeping the floor, or teaching a sermon. If we are doing it with, and for, our friend Jesus, it will be enjoyable.

Application: memorize this verse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment