Sunday, March 30, 2014

2 Corinthians 9:25
 And every man that striveth for the mastery which is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

The key word here is strive. To put forth no small amount of effort, to go against the grain, to climb up hill. I hope that we can all agree on at least this one point. We as Christians, are in fact striving for what is not temperate. Heaven is just around the corner for all of us and, I don't know about you, but I am seeking to build my treasure there. I am striving to please The Lord with my life so that I might hear "well done my good and faithful servant". Now, here is where we may disagree. There are things on this earth worthy of having, and can be given by God that are okay to have. However, when we have to strive for anything other than what is incorruptible, it is sin by the nature of its ability to consume our focus and effort. Not only is it sin, but for those of us who persist and take, what we take will be worse than what God intended for us. Many things temporal are morally neutral, such as a spouse. They can be a good thing and ultimately glorify God, or a bad thing. However, they will probably be a bad thing if we have to take our focus off of God, and strive for that person instead of God. If we are striving for God, our hearts are in the right place, we will be blessed, and He will be glorified. Be a man of one focus and one heart.
Application: pray this morning for my heart and will to be aligned with God's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment